All PRO-SET Safety Data Sheets are kept up to date and can be downloaded from our Safety Data Sheets page.


PRO-SET Epoxies can and should be used safely. To use PRO-SET epoxies safely, you must understand their hazards and take precautions to avoid them.

PRO-SET Resins may cause moderate skin irritation. PRO-SET Hardeners are corrosive and may cause severe skin irritation. Resins and hardeners are also sensitizers and may cause an allergic reaction similar to poison ivy. Susceptibility and the severity of a reaction varies with the individual. Although most people are not sensitive to PRO-SET Resins and Hardeners, the risk of becoming sensitized increases with repeated contact. For those who become sensitized, the severity of the reaction may increase with each contact. The hazards associated with resins and hardeners also apply to the sanding dust from epoxy that has not fully cured. These hazards decrease as resin/hardener mixtures reach full cure. To handle PRO-SET epoxies safely, we recommend that you observe the following precautions.

1. Avoid contact with resin, hardeners, mixed epoxy and sanding dust from epoxy that is not fully cured. Wear protective gloves and clothing whenever you handle PRO-SET Epoxies. Barrier skin creams provide additional protection. If you do get resin, hardener or mixed epoxy on your skin, remove it as soon as possible. Resin is not water soluble — use a waterless skin cleanser to remove resin or mixed epoxy from your skin. Hardener is water soluble — wash with soap and warm water to remove hardener or sanding dust from your skin. Always wash thoroughly with soap and warm water after using epoxy. Never use solvents to remove epoxy from your skin.

Stop using the product if you develop a reaction. Resume work only after the symptoms disappear, usually after several days. When you resume work, improve your safety precautions to prevent exposure to epoxy, its vapors, and sanding dust. If problems persist, discontinue use and consult a physician.

2. Protect your eyes from contact with resin, hardeners, mixed epoxy, and sanding dust by wearing appropriate eye protection. If contact occurs, immediately flush the eyes with water under low pressure for 15 minutes. If discomfort persists, seek medical attention.

3. Avoid breathing concentrated vapors and sanding dust. PRO-SET epoxies have low VOC content, but vapors can build up in unvented spaces. Provide ample ventilation when working with epoxy in confined spaces, such as boat interiors. When adequate ventilation is not possible, wear a NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) approved respirator with an organic vapor cartridge (NIOSH Approval #TC-23C). Provide ventilation and wear a dust mask when sanding epoxy, especially uncured epoxy. Breathing uncured epoxy dust increases your risk of sensitization. Although epoxy cures quickly to a sandable solid, it may take over two weeks at room temperature, or post-curing, to cure completely.

4. Avoid ingestion. Wash thoroughly after handling epoxy, especially before eating or smoking. If epoxy is swallowed, drink large quantities of water — DO NOT induce vomiting. Because hardeners are corrosive, they can cause additional harm if vomited. Call a physician immediately. Refer to First Aid procedures on the Safety Data Sheet.

5. Clean up spills with a scraper, collecting as much material as possible. Follow up with absorbent towels. Use sand, clay or other inert absorbent material to contain large spills. DO NOT use sawdust or other fine cellulose materials to absorb hardeners. Clean resin or mixed epoxy residue with acetone, lacquer thinner or alcohol. Follow all safety warnings on solvent containers. Clean Hardener residue with warm soapy water. Uncontaminated resin or hardener may be reclaimed for use. DO NOT dispose of hardener in trash containing sawdust or other fine cellulose materials — spontaneous combustion can occur.

6. Dispose of resin, hardener, and empty containers safely. Puncture a corner of the can and drain residue into the appropriate new container of resin or hardener. Do not dispose of resin or hardener in a liquid state. Waste resin and hardener can be mixed and cured (in small quantities) to a non-hazardous inert solid. CAUTION! Pots of curing epoxy can get hot enough to ignite surrounding combustible materials and give off hazardous fumes. Place pots of mixed epoxy in a safe and ventilated area, away from workers and combustible materials. Dispose of the solid mass only if the epoxy is cured completely and the mass has cooled. Follow federal, state or local disposal regulations.

7. PRO-SET products are intended for use by professional or technically qualified persons only. Regularly updated Safety Data Sheets (SDS), are available on this site or your PRO-SET distributor. Refer to the Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and product label for specific product safety information.

PRO-SET Safety Video

For additional safety information contact Pro-Set, Inc. at 888-377-6738 or email us.